|If an oven in Vermont catches fire and no one else notices, do I still feel like an idiot?
||[Jan. 11th, 2007|09:39 am]
The answer is, of course, yes. The house was smoky, I had to open the back door even though it was about 10 degrees outside, and then my dinner *still* wouldn't cook because, as it turns out, in part of my quick-thinking-douse-flames-with-baking-soda frenzy, I turned off the oven. Turns out catfish doesn't cook so well in a cooling oven.
The distressing parts, in addition to the FIRE INSIDE MY HOME (see above), were (1) the smoke alarm(s) never went off (must remember to check batteries) and (2) although most of the house smelled, as you might expect, like greasy-burnt-inside-of-the-oven smoke, my bedroom upstairs somehow managed to smell like cigarette smoke. This despite the fact that in the almost 2 years we've lived there, no one has ever smoked a cigarette in our home.
Now I have to live with the smell for a while, since it was an even ZERO degrees when I left the house this morning. Where is the freakishly warm winter when I need to air out a house?
Seriously, though - I was thinking of trying to use the oven's self-cleaning properties to clean it one of these days, but now I'm afraid it will catch fire and potentially be locked or explode. How does a self-cleaning oven safely clean itself?